Tooth whitening lightens teeth and helps to remove stains and discoloration. Whitening is among the most popular cosmetic dental procedures because it can greatly improve how your teeth look. Most dentists perform tooth whitening.
Whitening is not a one-time procedure. It will need to be repeated from time to time if you want to maintain the brighter colour.
If you’re looking for an alternative to professional teeth whitening in a dental office, then do-it-yourself at-home whitening might be right for you.
Advantages of At-Home Teeth Whitening
- Long-term results: Dental professionals agree that the only way to maintain your whitened teeth is with at-home bleaching products, repeated regularly – preferably every four to six months. But lately, many dentists are advising people with very dark-stained or tetracycline-affected teeth to continue home bleaching over a period of months (or up to a year) for optimal results. What’s interesting is, the newest teeth whitening strips on the consumer market are intended for five-minute use every day, like brushing or flossing.
- Variety: You have a choice of whitening trays, strips or paint-on products, as well as numerous whitening accessories.
- Convenience: You can do home whitening at any time of the day or night, for short or extended periods.
- Portability: You can also use at-home whitening strips while on the go or at the office.
- Cost: Over-the-counter whiteners range from $4 to $100, while dentist-dispensed products cost approximately $400. By contrast, in-office whitening costs an average of $650 per session.