A dental implant is an artificial tooth root made of pure Titanium used in dentistry to support restorations that resemble a tooth or group of teeth.
Dental implants with the right surface treatment for successful osseoingration can be used to support a number of dental prostheses, including crowns, implant-supported bridge or dentures.
Advantages of dental implant:
- Dental implants reduce the load on the remaining oral structures/teeth by offering independent support and retention to crowns, bridgework and overdentures.
- Dental implants preserve natural tooth tissue by avoiding the need to cut down adjacent teeth for conventional bridgework.
- Dental implants will preserve bone and significantly reduce bone resorption and deterioration that results in loss of jawbone height.
- Dental implants have been shown to reduce the need for subsequent restorative intervention of adjacent teeth.
- Long-term data on implants suggest that implants last for a much longer time than conventional restorations on teeth.
- Loose fitting dentures can be replaced with improved support, stability and retention with implant overdentures.
- Overdentures will help control/improve facial contours that result in minimizing premature wrinkles.
- Implant overdentures may allow you to chew your food better and speak more clearly. Many studies have shown that overdentures contribute to improved chewing efficiency and speaking, compared to full dentures.
How long does a Dental Implant last?
Implants typically last for a patient 45 years or older, thus, dental implants can be considered for life. The crown of an implant can be upgraded to material call Zirconia, a very durable manmade ceramic that is virtually unbreakable. Found to be almost as hard as diamond. We, iCare Dental provide these options.